return link

Friday 16 September 2022

 I bought this S2 a while ago - someone had squirted oil into the shutter and had removed and refitted the focus screen incorrectly which caused other problems. I couldn't save the shutter so it was replaced and various other repairs carried out. The interesting thing (to me anyway) is this example has been converted to have average metering like the S2b instead of spot metering. The mask that defines the spot area has been swapped for the mask that is normally in the S2b. Maybe the masks were swapped between a S2b and this S2 or maybe it was done when spare parts were still available and someone acquired and fitted the S2b mask. However it was done, it suits me as I've never liked the spot metering. So I think this one's a keeper.

The covers I've fitted are some fabric covers I'm experimenting with. Also available in blue and black if anyone is interested.


4 comments:

  1. Nice! Do you think it would be possible to modify the existing spot metering mask to a wider semi spot by enlarging the mask with a larger drill bit?

    The worst part of the S2 meter for me is that they made the display too accurate by lighting two speeds to indicate that the correct speed is half way between the two speeds. It is super confusing when trying to match the flashing led to the metered value, as you will have three speeds lit up. It would be far more user friendly if the metered speed was only accurate to the closest speed.

    Do you think it would be possible to retrofit the FX3 three LED metering interface into an S2? I find the FX3 design far more intuitive to use and would not mind giving up the indication of the shutter speed in the finder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never done a side by side comparison but, as far as I know, the size of the hole in the mask is the only physical difference. The problem is there is a filter attached to the underside of the mask that would have to be removed before it would be possible to enlarge the hole. This might be possible, I've not tried.
      I agree the S2 metering system is over complicated. No it wouldn't be possible to fit the FX-3 metering system to the S2 as there are physical differences that would prevent the display module being fitted. I did look at doing it with a S2 I had on which the meter had failed but it wasn't possible. There is also the problem that the ISO and shutter speed dial on the FX-3 is combined but separate on the S2 so passing this information to the metering system isn't possible. It would need a complete redesign of the metering circuit.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, I suspected that would be the case. I don’t suppose there’s any way to modify the S2 circuit so the metered speed is only displayed to the nearest stop?

    I am a bit surprised that the meter design got past the prototype stage at Contax since it is such a bad implementation compared to cameras it was competing with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would require modification to the embedded firmware. Not possible.

      Delete